Saturday, May 14, 2011

What I Want to Write About

Wednesday or Thursday or something, I will be leaving for a week to go do a mini writing-retreat with a couple of friends.  I basically want to write about the farm.  And I basically want to save myself and my brain up for that.  I have some specific writing goals pertaining to that, but mostly I want to pick topics about the farm and do freewrites on all or a lot of them.

But I'll share some thoughts on life with you first, so you aren't completely in the dark as to "why Jessica suddenly stopped blogging."  If you cared; which, really, it's okay if you didn't.  I write to write, and if people enjoy it, it's just a bonus feature.

Last night as I was falling asleep, I had the singularly most ingenious thoughts of my entire existence.  However, I was so very tired that I would not get out of bed to jot them down.  Naturally, they have been forgotten.

Perhaps I could trace myself to them?

"Mornington Crescent" by Belle and Sebastian was and still is in my head.  I do marvel at how I associate this Sebastian not with the one at the farm, but with a lovely British fellow who stayed at the hostel and whose real name was Gavin; he was rather meek and shy-acting but had spiked prematurely gray hair and a nose ring; dressed very stylishly; worked as a window washer in London, and was quite the party animal.... was out clubbing when I was at my tango practica.

Then I ran into him in a couple of different places around the little sunny town of Ashland, Oregon, like the two-story bookstore with the coffee shop upstairs and the jungle-like courtyard in the back that I didn't discover till the last day I was there...

Last night I had just put down The Witches by Roald Dahl.... let's see.  I always read at night till I get tired and then put down the book and promptly fall asleep.  And I have to ask myself, why can't adult literature be this good?  I haven't liked reading something this much since... I don't even know when.  I love all sorts of books, but this just beats them all.  Basically, I rest my case that kid stuff is just better, and I'm going to keep on singing Veggie Tales in the grocery store.  Don't try to stop me.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, a list of topics I want to write about.  Let me know if I have forgotten anything or anybody.  It's probably because there are several geese hanging around in the street and I keep watching them so that they don't get run over...

picking
harvesting
weeding
kitchens
dining rooms
bunk house
fire pit
sunshine
Jordan
Luke
Kat
Josh
KB
Rhyan
Prentiss
The shack
cigarettes
kale
mustard
chard
turnips
radishes
beets
rain
books
Maddie
Sebastian
Reed
Daniel
Nicole
April
The kids
wine
Chase and Charlotte
Arugula
red fire
red oak leaf
black seeded Simpson
seed trays
microgreens
sprouts
Jonstuff, even though he wasn't really there...
Marlee
Anna
Caitlyn
salad spinners
Saffron and Andrea
Hutch
tents
beer
weed
Jonathan's farm
chefs
that random freeloader chick
chickens
Backfire
Cheddar Blossom
Two-face
Tigger
strays
dogs
Arthur
Sam
Heather
Kamyren
New Orleans
Nola markets
the Mississippi
Baton Rouge
driving
Louisiana swift bus
Jazz and blues
bars
cliche Nola/tourists
stupid Bourbon street
Daniel's house
Mark and Shelley
Delaney and crew and house
the creek
swimming
pickup trucks
the van
Mr. Wobbles
clouds
sunsets
movie nights
Super Bowl
Academy Awards
Ronald
Frank
Elijah
The Addam's store
The Star
Volero
Texaco
St. Francisville
The William's Store
shopping
thrift store
buskers
Casey
Shanti
Elicia
Dallas
Whining
hot house
harvest room
tool shed
carport
water bottles
the view
golf course
plots A-G and Sometimes H
potatoes
Mardi Gras
beads
fire ants
cows
dishes
cooking

GOOD GRIEF THERE IS SO MUCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment